All Waypoints

LatLonBoat nameNoteCreated at
24º 5.628' N111º 34.392' WEmmaHere we are on day 10 of our trip, and enjoying the gentle waves off of Puebla Magdalena in Bahia Magdalena. We left port on the morning of 6/8 (remembering days of the week is hard when at sea. or maybe unnecessary?) under choppy conditions, and proceeded to sail south until we could tack to starboard as we made our way to Cabo Falso. We had another zig and zag until we cleared the cape and found ourselves in the Pacific Ocean. After that the sea-state eased, and we scooted along at 5-7 knots with the mainsail and the headsail providing lift. I had the first watch, and we cranked up Emma's Yanmar diesel engine for what would turn out to be a pretty effortless cruise up the coast. In the dark of the night we encountered more than a few fishing boats, with unpredictable courses and nary a register on the AIS. With morning came even smoother waters and a much-less crowded horizon. We did encounter a variety of sea life: barnacle-clad sea turtles lollygagging in the waves, pods of curious dolphins, flopping seals, barking seals, flying fish taking flight, pelicans aplenty. A range of mountains, stark and desert-like, dominated our Western skyline, from peak to rocky shoals. Our port-side view was an endless expanse, a perfectly horizontal edge frosted with a hazy marine layer. The first 36-hours of the Baja Bash went well.<br />&nbsp;(<a href=''>Continued...</a>)almost 8 years  agoShow

23º 3.762' N109º 41.49' WEmmaWe just finished a clean up of the boat interior. Its about seven o'clock in the evening, and Jake is prepping for another sure-to-be-delicious supper. Bob did some repair work, and I have a loaf of bread proofing, soon to bake. With any luck, the bread will hold up to the standards of the meal. <br />&nbsp;(<a href=''>Continued...</a>)almost 8 years  agoShow

23º 59.358' N110º 19.962' WEmmaThe plan had been to clear out of La Paz and sail to Bahia de los Muertos, but the processing didnt wrap up until mid afternoon, to late to sail for Muertos. Adjusting our plans we went out to Balandra, which is beautiful cove 10 miles north of Cost Baja. A few boats arrived ahead of us but there was plenty of room. We anchored in the middle in about 30 feet of water. Had a fine steak dinner and another of Jakes great salads. We got to bed around 11 and the weather was dead calm-but warm. I woke up about 4am to the sound of the anchor chain grinding on something, stuck my head out the hatch only to see a massive ship on our bow. MY (Motor Yacht) Albatross had drug their anchor and come down on Emma. Turns out our anchor chain caught the rudder of the 35M yacht. We were stuck. We tried all sorts of ways to wake up someone on board but final had to have Jake clamber over Emma's bow and drop down on the Albatraoss's swim deck. Jake found a door unlocked and was able to get inside and wake someone who then got the captain. After a bit of discussion we agreed to ease our anchor chain, which then dropped below the rudder and we were both free. This all came about because the coromel winds had come up and it was blowing 30-35 knots. One of the crew from another super yacht who came over to help out, shook our hands and laughingly told us we had &quot;caught&quot; a super yacht. Fortunately no one was injured and nothing was damaged. And now we have a great fishing story. Anchored Muertos tonight head for Bahia Frailes tomorrow.&nbsp;(<a href=''>View Post...</a>)almost 8 years  agoShow

24º 13.068' N110º 18.198' WEmmaThis morning is the first morning everyone has been aboard. Jake (the chef) and Bryant (the baker)are in the galley getting ready for the day- the oven is warming up to produce the fresh sourdough bread Bryant started yesterday. He brought sourdough starter with him from San Antonio. Jake is planning the days meals and trying to keep the refrigerator and freezer organized for both easy access and stability when underway. The stability will receive its first test later this morning. We will be clearing out this morning and headed to our first anchorage, Bahia Los Muertos which is about 50nm south of La Paz. Weather is warm and the forecast is for very light winds the next day or two. The plan is take several days to get down to Puerto Los Cabos where we will wait for favorable weather to round the cape and start the infamous Baja Bash. Everyone is excited and Emma is ready. More later.&nbsp;(<a href=''>View Post...</a>)almost 8 years  agoShow

25º 16.23' N110º 56.442' WEmmaAfter three nights moored in the sheltered and very beautiful Bahia Agua Verde, we up-anchored and set sail south for our next destination. We motored through the inner passage between Punta San Marcial and Rocas San Marcial and then hoisted the spinnaker and with the aid of 12 knots of wind, achieved a speed of 9 knots. It took 4 hours and 20 minutes to arrive at Bahia San Carlos Timbabiche, a distance of 25 miles. We dropped our anchor in 12' of water into a sandy bottom. Deserted except for 2 pongas and a truck, we decided to go ashore in the dingy and explore the extensive bay. We were immediately approached by a fishermen who offered to sell us &quot;pescado&quot;. It was what we'd been hoping for and we willingly chose 4 hauchinango, (red snapper) and they kindly cleaned them ready for our &quot;Veracruzana&quot; dinner. It was the end to a perfect day of ideal sailing conditions, stunning coastline and glowing sunset over the Sierra de la Giganta range of mountains.&nbsp;(<a href=''>View Post...</a>)about 8 years  agoShow

25º 31.398' N111º 4.392' WEmmaFriday, March 12. Day five of our 10 day Sea of Cortez cruise with Bob and Alyce with Cal and Mike (Wicksteed), and Ro of course, aboard Emma!! This is our third and most enchanting trip on this wonderful boat and we are having a great time. We arrived in Bahia Agua Verde on Wednesday after a challenging over-night sail from La Paz. Alyce, Ro and Cal wisely chose not to make the trip north but had a fairly harrowing 6 hour drive from Todos Santos to join us at our anchorage. Fortunately, Bob had Mike with him as a highly experienced First Mate as I was only useful to prepare some hopefully tasty food for the three of us en route. We had Chicken Fajitas for dinner and I made simple oats, fruit and yogurt for breakfast as I was thrown around the galley by the rough seas. Despite the high winds and a queasy tummy, it was a fantastic trip and when we arrived in this glorious bay we knew we had found a bit of paradise. The girls arrived several hours after our arrival and the party began!! Needless to day the food and drink have been splendid. We've met some interesting fellow sailors here in the Bay and went on a great 3 hour hike today with a few of them to find a cave with some ancient hand prints We have another night here and we will move on tomorrow to another beautiful spot. More to come........&nbsp;(<a href=''>View Post...</a>)about 8 years  agoShow

24º 7.002' N112º 37.998' WEmmaI don't know the first thing about sailing but Emma is certainly a comfortable boat. Much of this has to do with the company and Alice's incredible provisioning. Rick and Bill have certainly done their part creating some fantastic meals. No one is going hungry, that much is for sure.<br />&nbsp;(<a href=''>Continued...</a>)over 8 years  agoShow

24º 34.002' N112º 4.002' WEmmaIt's always good to have a Plan B. Bob always has a Plan B and probably a Plan C. Our departure from Mag Bay after a leisurely morning of swimming, running (got 3 mi in with Billy) and prepping was uneventful. We had toyed with the idea of staying another day since it was a pretty ideal, tropical anchorage....but a new adventure at Isla Espirato Santos, north of La Paz had our interest. Billy made a fabulous pasta with shrimp, Calamata olives and sun dried tomatoes for dinner at sea. We enjoyed a calm sail with another beautiful night sky and were passing Todos Santos for breakfast on Sunday. We spotted several Humpbacks, saw the constant developing coastline of north Cabo, a marlin being boarded by a fishing charter, rounded Lands End and enjoyed the coastline of Cabo San Lucas. Expecting the wind to pick up as we got further east, Bill prepared our Tri-tip dinner early which turned out to be ominous. Plan A was to sail and/or power to Espirato Santos arriving by Monday night and enjoy a day of fun in the sun. Within short order after sunset, the wind picked up from a calm 4-5 to 13-15 in what seemed like 5 minutes and continued to increase into the high teens to low 20s. Heading directly up the coast put the wind on the nose and the steepening, short seas made for a bumpy ride so we fell off 40* to keep us 60* off the wind; far more comfortable, even if lengthening our trip. By the time dinner was done, it soon became apparent that we were going to be in for a rough evening, winds clocking 30+ (hit 35), and a short, steep, 6' fetch, making it bumpy and wet. The double-reefed main, without a headsail and the engine running could only produce 3-4 knots and mostly in the wrong direction from our intended destination. It looked like a long night with Bob catching a few winks here &amp; there during each of the other 3 watches. Sleeping was a challenge; I actually found myself dosing off 1 time with my foot up against the stateroom bulkhead to keep me on the bunk. After several tacks and conversation about Plans B, C and D, and no improvement in the conditions, Bob exercised the Captain's authority and turned us around at dawn, heading back to San Jose del Cabo Marina, about 20 miles behind us. Chips, guacamole and beer followed by naps, helped (somewhat) rejuvinate us and psych us up for another try tomorrow morning after a good night sleep in the marina...Plan B was looking like a pretty good idea about this time.&nbsp;(<a href=''>View Post...</a>)over 8 years  agoShow

New Waypoint